Christian Arts Student Theatre, known as CAST (formally known as Zion Presents), began in
our community five years ago. We are an organization that is affiliated with Zion Lutheran
Church in Marengo. In the spring of 2006, we approached the PTL board at Zion
Lutheran School and asked for permission to start a program that would allow the kids in
our church and school to shine. That program is now known as CAST. In November 2006, nine
students performed The Boxcar Children in the Zion Lutheran Church sanctuary. In November
2007, nineteen students performed Alice in Wonderland in the Zion Lutheran Church sanctuary.
In January 2009, forty-five students performed Narnia, the Musical and the production was
moved to Marengo Community High School auditorium. In January 2010, fifty students
performed Peter Pan at the Marengo Community High School auditorium. In January of 2011 we
performed The Sound Of Music, with sixty children between 1st and 12th grades.
In the beginning of this program, students were from Zion Lutheran School and Church. Amazingly,
over the past five years, we have included students from Faith Lutheran High School, St. John’s
Lutheran Church, Marengo Community High School, Marengo Community Middle School, Riley School,
Hebron-Alden School, and home schooled children. In addition to the students, we have many
parent volunteers that help make our large productions possible.
Our program offers many different opportunities. Not only do our productions offer acting,
but also include dancing, singing and music. Our young people help with costume design and
set building. We have had several of our teen boys that help as stage hands and sound
strong belief is that when we channel our children’s energy and time in a Christian setting,
it will lead them down a positive path as well as give them tools for public speaking and
appearances that many of them will need in their future careers.
In April of 2011 we will be holding auditions for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor
Dreamcoat. This will be our first production performed by adults. The "CASToffs", will be
an adult group using their God given talents to glorify our Heavenly Father.
Did You Know
- Did you know...CAST started out as Zion Presents under the PTL. In 2008, we changed the name to Christian Arts Student Theatre and we report to Pastor Borhart.
- Did you know...Zion Presents started with 9 cast members in the production of the Boxcar Children. Now known as CAST, the production of the Sound of Music had 60 cast members.
- Did you know...CAST pays royalty fees to the production company that owns the rights to the script.
- Did you know...CAST pays rental fees for the scripts and musical scores to the production company that owns the rights.
- Did you know...CAST pays rental fees for the venue. We pay per hour for rehearsals and the production, as well as, custodial services and sound and light technicians.
- Did you know...CAST is completely funded by fundraisers, donations and ticket sales.
- Did you know...CAST rents sets, as well as builds them for each performance.
- Did you know...CAST shops at resale shops, garage sales and estate sales for costumes and props.
- Did you know...CAST rents two classrooms at Hawthorn School to store all their costumes, sets and props.
- Did you know...CAST was given money from the Henri Boi Estate to pay for the rent at Hawthorn.
- Did you know...CAST is completely run by volunteers, including the directors.
- Did you know...CAST accepts donations.
- Did you know...the CASToffs, is for the adults. They will be performing Joseph in September. Auditions are on April 17th & 18th.
- Did you know...CASTs next production is Wizard of Oz. Auditions are April 25th.
- Did you know...CAST is looking for a Toto.